Sunday, May 16, 2010

NY bound





I need my head examined. We drove with my parents and kids to NY on Friday and back on Sunday to attend my cousin's first communion. We are so isolated from most of the family here so when we have an opportunity for the boys to see their cousins and to have a little flavor for where I grew up and the type of family festivities we had, I jump. I think I had the heardest time with the trip being pregnant and needing frequent stops to stretch and use the rest room. It also appeared that I was at the height of my nausea and Wheat Thins were my best friend.

The kids on the other hand were so good in the car! We watched DVDs, played Leapfrog games, stopped for food and even took some naps. We first visited Aunt Marge and took the boys to a cute neighborhood pub in Queens. We ordered grown up food for them and fruity drinks with cherries so we could enjoy the feel. I think they liked watching the Yankee game the best. They did amazingly well in the retirement home being squeezed and kissed and were so wonderful to my Aunt. I know it breaks Mom's heart to be reminded of Grandma and aging and it wears on me too since it seems an entire generation is coming to a close.

Next, we headed to Westchester to the hotel and had the communion the next day. The boys were so charming and just loved seeing everyone. They danced with all the beautifully dressed little girls and were so social at the restaurant, we barely saw them!

After the luncheon, we went back to Danielle's house and the kids played in the yard. Jason slept most of the time in the car with Jeff sitting in there with him keeping watch. Ethan was being driven around by his cousin. He tried to drive the car as well but that didn't end well as he nearly went over an embankment. I never saw Shawn and Danielle run so fast and was so grateful they were able to get there and stop him. No more motorized vehicles for my kids! I think bubble wrap is in order.





No comments: